Sunday, March 23, 2008

I need a new word

Every time I read a story like this, I think I need a new word to describe the behavior -- something that encapsulates both the utter foolishness and the monumental damage being wrought. The word ENGLAND is now considered offensive, for crying out loud.
PATRIOTIC squaddie Craig Briggs has been barred from joining the police — because he’s got an ENGLAND tattoo on his arm.

The Iraq veteran, 22, had wanted to be a cop since childhood and was advised to join the Army to get experience first.

But when he applied he was told: “Unfortunately, some people feel intimidated by the word England.”

Last night Craig, who has just completed 4½ years with the 3rd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment, said: “I am shocked and disgusted.

"I don’t understand how it can cause offence. It is our country, after all.”
I'm disgusted too, though I can't say I'm shocked. Though this was in England, I can just imagine it happening in the U.S., with people being offended by the word AMERICA. It's like the whole world has gone off its meds -- practicing extreme acts of intolerance, and justifying them in the name of tolerance. Sometimes I'm glad I'm going to die soon, so I won't have to witness what's to come.

[Via The Corner]

No comments: