Thursday, September 10, 2009

Choice is good, so let's reduce choice

Okay, this is my last post on Obama's speech. If I don't stop now I'll be up all night, because every other every paragraph is laced with misrepresentations, inconsistencies, and illogic. He does finally get something right when he says
Unfortunately, in 34 states, 75% of the insurance market is controlled by five or fewer companies. In Alabama, almost 90% is controlled by just one company. Without competition, the price of insurance goes up and the quality goes down. And it makes it easier for insurance companies to treat their customers badly – by cherry-picking the healthiest individuals and trying to drop the sickest; by overcharging small businesses who have no leverage; and by jacking up rates.
What he doesn't mention is that the reason there are so few choices in each state is because there are laws preventing people from buying insurance across state lines. But does Obama's plan do anything to get government out of the way so that people can choose between the 1300 insurance companies in America? Nope. His solution is to spend a bunch of tax dollars creating a government-run system while putting a stranglehold on what private companies can charge and must offer. He claims he's all about choice and competition while he fights on every front to eliminate choice and competition. Never in history have I seen a president so consistently and cavalierly say he's doing the exact opposite of what he's doing.

Okay, I'm only half-way through the speech, I've been posting like crazy on it, and I've eschewed posting on a good number of outrageous statements. I can only assume that the second of half of the speech will be as fertile, but I simply can't go on.

No comments: