Friday, October 29, 2010

Considerable quote

Upon graduating, I took a job waiting tables while I figured out my path (or next step, at any rate). Working in a restaurant is the perfect place to learn a few key things about the real world. First, your tip is usually a reflection of the quality of service you give. This was major incentive to do my job well, because it was the ultimate in merit-based pay.

Of course, people are unpredictable, so for every $100 tipper there was an equal and opposite $2 tipper. But knowing that how I did my job usually reflected directly in how I was compensated went a long way with me. It wasn’t about each individual result having to be fair, it was about opportunity and potential reward. Also, if you didn’t show up for work, you didn’t get paid. Every now and then we would have to pool tips and divide them up fairly between wait staff, bussing staff and bartenders. This was my first introduction to the concept of wealth redistribution. I didn’t care for it.

No comments: