Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Obama: American Narcissus

Jonathan Last hits a home run with his Weekly Standard piece documenting Obama's extreme vanity. I was familiar with some of this, but the, dare I say, "audacity" of the man's self-importance is utterly astounding when taken in toto. Consider this passage, quoted from a 2008 New Yorker piece by Ryan Lizza:
Obama said that he liked being surrounded by people who expressed strong opinions, but he also said, “I think that I’m a better speechwriter than my speechwriters. I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I’ll tell you right now that I’m gonna think I’m a better political director than my political director.” After Obama’s first debate with McCain, on September 26th, [campaign political director Patrick] Gaspard sent him an e-mail. “You are more clutch than Michael Jordan,” he wrote. Obama replied, “Just give me the ball.”
Hubris just oozes from Obama's every pore.

Be sure to read all the way to the end.

HT: Vox Popoli

No comments: