Thursday, December 16, 2010

The unAmerican dream

I haven't paid attention to the details of the DREAM Act because I'm against rewarding illegal behavior, and no matter what kind of package it comes in, that's what Harry Reid is selling. (If it didn't reward illegal behavior, illegals would have no interest in it and there would be no point.) So when it comes to the DREAM Act -- well, sing it, Groucho:
I don’t know what they have to say,
It makes no difference anyway --
Whatever it is, I’m against it!
No matter what it is or who commenced it,
I’m against it.

Your proposition may be good
But let’s have one thing understood --
Whatever it is, I’m against it!
And even when you’ve changed it or condensed it,
I’m against it.

Still, it was interesting to read Bob Dane's "How To Guide for Becoming a DREAM Act Beneficiary," which takes the aspiring young illegal by the hand to make sure all his dreams come true should the act become a reality. I'll leave the reading to the, er, reader, and simply note that there are far fewer hurdles and far more ways around the requirements than I imagined. There are some nice perks thrown in as well. For example, illegals would actually become eligible for federal benefits like health care sooner than if they had come here legally.

DREAM Act indeed.

No comments: