Monday, October 4, 2004

New Iraqi intelligence documents?

I’m not sure what to make of this CNSNews report describing the discovery of highly significant Iraqi intelligence documents. If authentic, the documents establish that Saddam recently possessed WMD, and that operational relationships existed between Iraq and several high profile terrorist groups, including al Qaeda. The documents describe Iraq support for attacks on the U.S. and refer to direct Iraqi participation in the training of terrorists.

I’m taking a wait-and-see attitude on this, as it definitely sets off my “too perfect” alarm. The source of the documents claims to have leaked them in the interest of national security, saying the matter is “too important to let it get caught up in the political process.” Is this a credible explanation? I’m not sure. But if I were leaking documents of this nature in the interests of national security, I think I’d be more apt to pass them off to one of the larger media organizations. That said, CNSNews seems to be acting responsibly in translating and authenticating the documents. It has also invited credentialed journalists and counter-terrorism experts to examine the original documents.

I’m sure we’ll be hearing more about this very soon.

Update: The folks at QandO are also skeptical, and link to an even fishier sounding story. Steady as she goes.

No comments: